“Mary Wore Three Links of Chain”
Floating religious verses with the chorus, "All my sins been taken away, taken away." Sample verses: "Mary wore three links of chain (x3), Ev'ry link bearing Jesus's name." "I don't know but I've been told (x3) Streets of heaven are paved with gold."
This is probably a religious adaption of "Hand Me Down My Walkin' Cane." Since, however, it seems to circulate widely on its own, it gets its own listing.
I sure hope I remember that I split them.... - RBW
- cf. "Oh, Mary Don't You Weep" (floating lyrics)
- cf. "Hand Me Down My Walkin' Cane" (lyrics)
- George Herod, "Sister Mary Wore Three Lengths (Links) of Chain" (on MuSouth07)
- Bradley Kincaid, "Mary Wore Three Links of Chain" (Supertone 9666, 1930)
- Dock Reed, "I'm Going Home on the Morning Train" (on NFMAla5)
- BrownIII 543, "Mary Wore Three Links of Chain" (1 text plus mention of 1 more)
- Sandburg, pp. 474-475, "Mary Wore Three Links of Chain" (1 text, 1 tune)
- Roud #5027
- BI, San474