“The Farmer in the Dell”
Earliest date: 1883 (Newell)
Found in: US(NE) Britain(Scotland)
"The farmer in the dell (x2), Hi ho the merry-o, the farmer in the dell." "The farmer takes a wife...." And so forth through a variety of creatures and things, typically ending with "The cheese stands alone."
- The Pumpkin on the Vine (Pankake-PHCFSB, p. 153)
- Tony Wales, "Four Children's Singing Games (The Farmer in his Den)" (on TWales1)
- Linscott, pp. 7-9, "The Farmer in the Dell" (1 text, 1 tune)
- Montgomerie-ScottishNR 83, "(The Farmer in his den)" (1 text)
- Fuld-WFM, p. 224, "The Farmer in the Dell"
- DT, FRMRDELL*
- Roud #6306
- BI, DTfrmrde