“Did You Ever See a Lassie?”
“Ach, Du Lieber Augustine”
Earliest date: 1909 (Tune 1788)
Found in: US(NE)
"Did you ever see a lassie, A lassie, a lassie, Did you ever see a lassie Go this way and that way? Did you ever see a lassie go this way and that?" Other verses, if any, equally silly; sustained by the tune "O Du Lieber Augustine"
Obviously a silly little song -- but the tune is so widespread that it can hardly be omitted.
Linscott, who has only a single stanza, describes its use as a singing game. - RBW
- Ach, Du Lieber Austustine (Slot Machine Run By Steam) (Pankake-PHCFSB, p. 163)
- Love to Be in Copenhagen (Pankake-PHCFSB, p. 197)
- Have You Ever Seen (Pankake-PHCFSB, p. 197)
- Linscott, pp. 6-7, "Did You Ever See a Lassie" (1 text, 1 tune)
- Fuld-WFM, pp. 399-400, "O Du Lieber Augustin -- (Polly Put the Kettle On -- Did You Ever See a Lassie)"
- BI, FuldODLA